Stephen Baylisspsychology credentialschartered psychologistMember of the British Psychological Society
BPS logo

Educational and business services menu



How Psychology Can Help You - Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact you?
I am happy for you to contact me at any time. Just telephone me for an appointment or for a telephone consultation to discuss your concerns and how I can be of help. Alternatively you can email me to request an appointment or to pose some questions to help decide if I can be of assistance.

Click here to Contact Stephen

What should I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress at school?
If you have not already done so, do make an appointment with the school to discuss your concerns. Many schools will have previously informed parents / carers about who to contact in the first instance - often the classteacher in primary schools and form tutor in secondary schools. Other helpful people include the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and the Head of Year (in secondary schools). If you have not already been informed you may want to ask if your child is receiving additional support under School Action or School Action Plus. Where a child is at risk of serious disaffection or exclusion a Pastoral Support Programme (PSP) should be implemented. Ask about your child’s progress and discuss the Individual Education Plan (IEP) with the school, if one has been set up. If you remain concerned, but the school does not wish to involve support services from the local authority, I am happy for you to contact me for a consultation or an assessment, counselling etc of your child.

Do you help adults with issues such as anxiety, loss of confidence and fears?
Yes, many people have times in their life when they need professional help to address various concerns including anxiety. Anxiety, loss of confidence etc can be a very understandable reaction to a difficult situation, or may arise for no clear reason. In any event, the important thing is to receive help for ways forward.

I have heard about the value of hypnosis and think it might help me, but I am worried that I might be made to do things that I don’t want to do, or won’t remember afterwards.
Hypnosis is an invaluable tool when used as part of counselling, not in isolation. It is a very natural and safe method, often misunderstood, and yet has been used in various forms by many cultures for at least hundreds of years. Hypnosis involves focussed relaxation and concentration, to help the client towards their goals. You will be fully in control and aware of what is going on at all times. Adults can choose to have another person present if you wish, and I request that another adult be present for any child/ young person under the age of sixteen. Hypnosis usually needs at least several sessions, particularly as one aim is to teach the client hypnosis techniques to use yourself in your own time to increase the effectiveness. People often report how enjoyable the experience is.

I have more than twenty five years experience of hypnosis and am a member of the British Society of Academic and Clinical Hypnosis (BSCAH).

I have heard that some students can get extra help for exams such as GCSEs and A-levels. Is that true? How can I find out if my child is entitled to such help?
Yes, some students are entitled to exam access arrangements, such as a reader or a scribe, if they meet the exam board criteria. It is advised to discuss this with the school/ college in the first instance. An educational psychologist, or a specialist teacher with qualifications as specified by the exam board, is needed to assess the student if it appears that they might meet the criteria.

I wonder if my child is dyslexic. How do I check this out and obtain help if he / she is dyslexic?
If you have not already done so, do discuss your concerns with the school to find out their views and if your child has been receiving, or needs to receive additional help and what progress your child has made. I can provide a detailed assessment to help identify a range of strengths, weaknesses and ideas for ways forward.

I did not do too well at school, but now I want to improve my literacy and numeracy. I am still rather embarrassed about my difficulties and don’t know what to do.
This is a natural reaction for many people. You are not alone, as quite a few people had difficulties when they were at school. This could have been due to any of a number of difficulties including poor knowledge of sounds, lack of confidence, concentration and motivation and social difficulties. There are a number of adult literacy, numeracy and other courses run by sympathetic tutors and attended by others in a similar situation to you. A consultation with myself or a detailed assessment to identify strengths, weaknesses and strategies for learning can help you to improve your skills and make success more likely should you choose to join an adult education class.

My son / daughter has been diagnosed as having ADHD but I am not sure what to do next. Can you help?
Whether a child has a diagnosis of ADHD/ ADD or not, the main issue is what will help your son / daughter behave and learn appropriately. I have many years as a psychologist and teacher helping families to plan ways of managing their child’s behaviour. This usually involves consultations with myself to discuss the situation and help plan ways forward and sometimes it is useful to meet the child too, for instance to get their perspective of what is going on, help motivate them to change and help them plan how to change.

I want to develop my skills at work and plan for the future, but don’t know where to start.
Sign up with me for help re coaching / mentoring. Don’t worry this is not unusual. Some businesses have supervision, appraisal and other procedures that can help. If so, do make use of these. But sometimes there are no such procedures, or you would rather talk about your work needs with someone other than a manager or someone from work.

My relation / friend has had some personal worries for some time that they have not been able to resolve. Can you help?
Most of us have times in our lives when we need help from others to get us through a difficult time. Often the help comes from our family and friends, but sometimes we need a trained professional to talk to and plan ways forward. They can make an appointment, then simply come and discuss their concerns, or they are welcome to contact me first.

My child has very difficult behaviour and it is getting me down. Is there anything that can be done?
Some children find it more difficult than others to make relationships or behave appropriately. There can be all sorts of reasons for this. Children are very adaptable and can change given the right circumstances. The important thing is that you want to do something about it. I have many years as a psychologist helping parents / carers to find ways of improving their child’s behaviour and social / emotional (emotional literacy) skills. In some cases it is also useful to meet the child at some stage to get their perspective, find out what might work with them and help them to become motivated to change and plan with them what they will do differently. I can also help you to discuss ways in which you can take care of yourself, as it is easy to think about others, but lose track of our own needs. Contact Stephen for a confidential consultation to help move things forward.

I have some important things in my life that I want to change. Others keep telling me to see someone about it, but I’m quite an independent person and don’t like being told what to do.
This is quite a normal response. You will not be told what to do. We sometimes have difficulty seeing the alternatives when there is a difficulty in our life. All discussions are confidential. I see my role as helping others to understand their situation more clearly, think about options that they may not have previously considered and plan what to do next. You may well have some ideas of your own that you want to explore further and need someone trained in this type of work to help you.

I work in a private school, could you provide support and training for us?
Yes, I work with a range of adults, children, schools and other organisations. I can provide various support from consultations with staff about individual children, group work with children, detailed assessments as well as a variety of training tuned to meet the needs of individual schools. In addition, the whole range of counselling, coaching and mentoring, stress management etc that I provide to the general public is also available, either on a private basis or purchased by the school as part of school support for staff.

I am a foster carer and am used to dealing with some very difficult children, but would still like assistance to help them improve their behaviour.
Many of the children who you will be asked to support have a number of educational, as well as social / emotional difficulties including behaviour difficulties, anxiety, attachment issues and friendship difficulties. You are wise therefore to seek support to build on the skills that you have already. The social worker(s) for the child / children will be able to provide you with a lot of help, but there may well be times when further professional support is needed, for you, the children and in some cases their biological families. Consult the relevant social worker, before contacting me. I am able to provide a range of services including help about behaviour management and other social / emotional (emotional literacy) needs, counselling for children and educational psychology assessments, through to training for yourself, other carers and social services.

I work in business and am aware of the need for training to develop the skills of myself and the staff. Can you help?
Certainly, psychology is a key part of any business or organisation! What is provided varies according to the needs and size of the individual business. For instance, businesses and other organisations are increasingly realising the benefits of training, to increase profits and effectiveness, in a wide range of emotional intelligence skills including interpersonal skills, motivation, communication, stress management, emotional well-being and team building. Coaching and mentoring is available for all, including managers.

In addition staff are able to take advantage of the range of professional services such as counselling for stress management, anxiety, grief and loss, confidence building etc. This is available either privately or via the business / organisation, as part of its benefits and support for staff.

I am the manager of a business and arrange supervision for my staff, but sometimes I would like to talk to someone myself.
Help from a Business Advisor or the Chamber of Commerce (if you are a member), can give some very good advice, particularly if the issues are about financial or technical trade matters. But there are many other important aspects of running a successful business and you are right to think flexibly that there may be other things that you want to develop. A confidential consultation with myself gives you the opportunity to raise any pertinent issues e.g. staff relationships, examining your own strengths and roadblocks, self-development for your own benefit and that of your business, emotional well-being and taking care of yourself.

The school has told me that my child is in danger of being excluded because of poor behaviour. Can you help?
Keep in close contact with the school. If you do not already know, ask the school exactly what are their concerns and what they have done about it. For instance, is your child receiving special educational needs (SEN) support? This includes social/ emotional and behavioural needs, not just academic. If so, is he / she registered at School Action, School Action Plus or have a statement? A child in danger of exclusion should also have a Pastoral Support Programme (PSP). Asking what you can do to help will go down well.

There are local authority professionals such as educational psychologists who the school can call upon, but if for some reason they are not available soon, or the school does not want to use them, I can certainly help. If you have concerns about your child’s behaviour out of school, as well as in school, you may want me to discuss with you ways of improving his/ her behaviour. I often work with the child / young person themselves to help them change their behaviour or it may help to assess their strengths and weaknesses as any difficulties might be affecting their attitude and confidence in school.

I keep hearing about synthetic phonics / phonemic approaches to literacy but am not sure what they involve.
Synthetic phonics / phonemic approaches are thought to be more effective than some traditional approaches to teaching literacy via phonics. The Department for Education and Skills (DfES) is recommending the use of synthetic phonics. During literacy assessments I use synthetic phonics/ phonemics materials to identify a child’s skills and any areas of weakness to help advise the school how to help the child in the most effective manner.

My child has been diagnosed with autism / Asperger’s Syndrome, but I am still unsure how to help him / her.
Yes, this can be very difficult because of the way that these children learn, think and behave. I am happy to meet you to discuss not only how children with autism/ Asperger’s Syndrome function generally, but more importantly how your child can be best helped.

Stephen Bayliss - Chartered Psychologist:

Foreman and Jones
Integrated Health Practice
112d High Street
CT21 5LE

Folkestone Complementary Health Centre
4 West Cliff Gardens
Kent CT20 1SP

For Both Hythe and Folkestone, Telephone: (01303) 253 304
Mobile: 07749 233 262


Latest additions to the site:
Business Coaching Services, Hypnosis / Hypnotherapy Kent
Emotional Intelligence / Literacy, Multiple Intelligences
Psychology of Learning Theories, Counselling Services, Educational Psychology

As part of his holistic approach to therapy, Stephen now offers acupuncture - read more on Acupuncture Kent UK.